Friday, July 3, 2015

New Adventure

Normally you couldn't get me on an airplane without knocking me out for the duration of the flight but on July 31 I will be boarding a plane heading to visit and help my BFF Renee from Plum Purdy. Renee is a very talented tole painter, designing all of her own items from the wood cutouts to the pattern books.

Renee and I met in Jr. High (does anyone else remember Jr. High instead of, "middle school"?) and we have managed to keep in touch through all of the years, too many years to count. She is always my oldest and dearest friend and she has always been there for me, waiting outside the hospital while my first born was on his way and sending flowers when I lost my kidney a few years back and now it's my turn to be there for her. After many, many years of me in MI and her in SC, we had a great reunion this past February while she was at a decorative painting convention in Vegas.

As in any crafting medium, conventions are very important for getting new and keeping old customers. Renee's usual helper had to back out leaving Renee kind of hanging. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut, just HAD to open it and say that I would love to give her a hand so my ticket has been bought, I am going through my sparse wardrobe and choosing luggage from what we have on hand, I'm even thinking about making a top or two to take along.

After flying into Charlotte, NC Renee will be picking me up then we'll go to her house in SC for a few days to pack up the cargo van and on 8-3 we will get into the van and head off to Columbus, OH for the (HOOT) Heart of Ohio Tole Convention.

I don't know a darned thing about Tole painting but I hope to return home with lots of new knowledge in this old head of mine. I'll turn 60 while on my trip, who better to celebrate with than my old friend? This will be our first road trip ever together, I wonder what adventures we'll find along our way, we had a lot of them as teens in the 70's.


 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful adventure! I'm sure you'll have lots and lots of great memories!

    Happy (early) birthday to you! I'm a July baby, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh that sounds like so much fun. I am so glad you'll get to spend time with her.
    Crafty hugs,
    Dawn
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

All comments left are greatly appreciated. I do take the time to read each and every one of them. Thank you for leaving a comment.